Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Morning Brunch: Herbed Baked Eggs and Spicy Sweet Bacon

Christmas morning at my parents' house begins later than it used to when my little brother bounded out of bed at 6 and begged everyone in the house (which included me, mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother, aunt and uncle) to pleeeeaase wake up so he could start opening presents. This year the coffee was made and the pastries set out in the living room when my mother implored me to 'go get your brother, it's 10:30 already.' Thus starts a Christmas at home with grown children. Another thing that has changed is that I can take over cooking a meal from my overworked mother who typically cooks Christmas Eve Dinner, Christmas Day Brunch and Dinner for a median of 10 hungry family members.

I decided to make the Herbed Baked Eggs that I first blogged about in July -because the holidays is really no time to experiment. I did make one substitution -my mom had lots of fontina and not enough parmesan, so I sprinkled fontina on the top. Success. I also made Gourmet's Sweet and Spicy Bacon (recipe below) which, being basically Bacon Candy, was a big hit. We served it with crusty bread and a fruit salad. Please enjoy the photo blogging from my mother's beautiful, big kitchen.









Sweet and Spicy Bacon

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 45 min

Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb thick-cut bacon (12 slices)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Stir together brown sugar, cayenne, and black pepper in a small bowl.

3. Arrange bacon slices in l layer on a large broiler pan and bake in middle of oven (or upper third of oven if baking with eggs) 20 minutes. Turn slices over and sprinkle evenly with spiced sugar. Continue baking until bacon is crisp and brown, 15 to 20 minutes more, then transfer to paper towels to drain.





No comments: