Monday, February 23, 2009

Nougatine's Winter Menu Special

Everything changed for the better this year when we switched our opera subscription from Thursdays to Fridays. Now I don't spend the third (or fourth) act dreading my impending lack of sleep. It has become not an obligation, but a looked-forward-to event. And the enjoyment is compounded when we do a pre-show dinner like the one we had at Nougatine a few weeks ago.

Nougatine, the casual dining room at Jean-Georges has extended their restaurant week $35 pre-fixe dinner indefinitely. It is a hefty four(!) course meal served 5:30-6:30 and 10-11.

I would recommend starting at the bar with a specialty (if pricey) cocktail. A truly spicy champagne cocktail got my tastebuds going, though a friend's whiskey drink with its perfect balance of sour and sweet made me envious.

I believe they're already switched up the menu but we had:

Butternut Squash Soup with Black Trumpet Mushrooms (velvety, earthy)
Slow Cooked Salmon with Julienne Vegetables and Basil Vinaigrette (bright, extremely -almost too vinegar-y)
Soy Glazed Beef Short Rib, Apple Pieces, Rosemary Crumbs (wow. amazing textures and depth)
Molten Chocolate Cake, Panna Cotta (generous portions of two solid desserts)

I left the meal surprisingly full and eager to return. Check it out if the recession allows you a slight splurge as it is a great deal from one of my favorite chefs.



No comments: