Monday, January 5, 2009

Loving chili. Loving spice.

Well, folks, it seems that I might love habaneros because of their chemical kick!

"TASTELESS, colourless, odourless and painful, pure capsaicin is a curious substance. It does no lasting damage, but the body’s natural response to even a modest dose (such as that found in a chili pepper) is self-defence: sweat pours, the pulse quickens, the tongue flinches, tears may roll. But then something else kicks in: pain relief. The bloodstream floods with endorphins—the closest thing to morphine that the body produces. The result is a high. And the more capsaicin you ingest, the bigger and better it gets."

December's Economist includes an article on all things chili: why we crave it and how it's becoming a beloved part of non-traditionally spice-driven cuisines. Pretty fascinating.



3 comments:

Hera said...

Endorphins! So eating chili will help me beat the winter blues and jumpstart the January weight loss?

Leslie Klug said...

I'd like to think of eating a chili as the new daily workout! But I don't think that would be quite true. Still, I'll take the natural endorphins wherever I can get 'em!

Micherie said...

here is my profound comment: I love spice. I love the heat. But let me tell you that I bought some Habanero cheese and it was hotter than the hottest of hot wings. yummm hot wings.