Sunday, January 25, 2009

Perfect Poached Eggs


Last night while pondering the remaining steak on my husband's plate (we ate at Porter House which turns out one of the best filets I've ever tasted) I heard him say "I want this tomorrow morning with a poached egg with a runny center." Well, coming right up.

Though over-easy or scrambled eggs are a little quicker and easier, a good poached egg is priceless and worth the slightly increased effort of waiting for water to boil.

I like Martha Stewart's method for poaching eggs. I've adapted it below.

Perfect Poached Eggs

Bring a saucepan of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar (any flavor) to a boil. Break one egg at a time into a small heatproof bowl or ramekin. Reduce heat so that the water is just simmering. Slightly immerse the bowl in the water, and gently slide in the egg. After all eggs are added, cover pot, turn off heat, and let stand 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon and working quickly remove eggs and set on a kitchen towel or paper towel. Serve immediately.



No comments: