Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Re-creating Freemans Signature Cocktail


Back when I had free time between New Year's and the resumption of the business calendar, I decided to journey down to the Lower East Side for lunch at Freemans. An adorable, cozy restaurant located at the end of Freemans Alley, the restaurant is populated by taxidermied heads and hipsters. In addition to the best baked artichoke dip I've ever tasted, Freemans serves an extremely memorable tart brown cocktail. A week later I found myself craving another, but lacking pomegranate molasses and orange bitters, I decided to improvise and came up with the recipe below. In the spirit of using what you have, blood orange or tangerine would work in place of the pink grapefruit. Happy drinking!

Fakemans Cocktail
3 oz rye
1 1/2 oz fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice
a few dashes of angostura bitters

Shake in cocktail shaker with ice and pour into a chilled martini glass

Freemans is so cute!




No comments: