Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rhubarb again?




I have a love affair with Rhubarb. I don't know quite why. It's pink and tart (this it has in common with my autumnal obsession, the cranberry) and if one doesn't prepare it properly, it could be deadly....that would entail serving its poisonous leaves which don't even look tasty, but still. It's weird and neglected. The runt of the litter. It's my favorite. However, my husband isn't quite a convert. He's enjoyed some of the rhubarb recipes I've prepared: rhubarb chutney, rhubarb ginger ale, but tires of it MUCH more quickly than I. Leaving me to finish an entire batch of stewed rhubarb last spring. When he saw me printing out a recipe for a rhubarb brunch cake he said "Rhubarb? Is it that time of year, again?" and then "How long does the season last?" steeling himself for it. But when he tasted the cake, he declared it delicious. I'm declaring it and unequivocal rhubarby success. Thanks to my Mom for sending the recipe along. I'm taking a guess that it's from Bon Appetit, but that could be wrong. The rhubarb celebration is far from over. I just got my May copy of Cooking Light in the mail and it has devoted and entire section to my favorite rhizome. Stay tuned for more adventures in rhubarb...



1 comment:

Susan said...

i love rhubarb too! i made several pies about a month ago. surprisingly hard to find in grocery stores, but now fairway has it so all is well...