Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Best Fried Clams

I spent a weekend in Rhode Island attending two weddings and their attendant festivities. After a weekend of the three d's (dancing, drinking and dining) we probably didn't NEED an enormous platter of fried fresh seafood (and indeed, we barely made a dent), but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to Flo's Clam Shack right off of Newport Beach.

I took a picture of the fisherman's platter, but somehow it didn't come out. Trust me, though, it was a mountain of fry: clams, clam strips, calamari, scallops, shrimp, whitefish and a 'clamcake.' The bay scallops were quite good, but the stars, unsurprisingly were the whole fried clams. Crispy on the outside, briny and slimy on the inside. They were the exact opposite of the rubbery, tastless fried clams I've been disappointed by before. If I go back, (and I'm sure I will since my husband fell in love with Newport) I'll limit myself to what is truly worth the cals: whole fried clams. Well done, Flo.

Btw, the lobster roll was also very good, though you curiously have to dispense and mix in your own packet of mayo.



No comments: