Thursday, June 5, 2008

Stay-cation

I had a tough day on Sunday. Some parade made me 45 minutes late to my appointments on the east side, and said appointments were unexpectedly difficult. So when I arrived back home 10 million hours after I left, I knew I needed a major pick-me-up. I had to go to Bin 71.

http://www.bin71.com/

Bin 71 is the glorious and cozy wine bar on Columbus between 71st and 72nd Sts. They have a friendly, low-key staff who recommend and pour (generously) excellent wines and serve an array of delicious food that goes beyond meat and cheese plates (though they're good too).

When I'm there, I feel instantly relaxed and slightly indulgent. Its the closest feeling to being on vacation while still in the city.

Of course, I'm not the only one who feels this way, so it's often packed. Luckily they've added 5 two-tops outside for the summer which adds to their capacity by one third. Still, if you can, show up well before prime time....like lunch time.

Favorites: Sancerre, Gruner Ventliner, Zinfandel, Octopus, Pork Panini, Ham and Manchego Panini



No comments: