Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We all scream....for fro yo


There are a few ingredients I use more often than others. I love lime, and you already know I love rhubarb. My husband adores blueberries and greek yogurt. So when I came across this frozen yogurt recipe last year at Heidi Swanson's excellent website, 101cookbooks.com, I knew I had to try it. Here's the orginal. Like Heidi, I used 2/3 cup sugar and no vanilla. It was tangy and delicious.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-frozen-yogurt-recipe-to-rival-pinkberrys-recipe.html

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Heidi notes: First off, remember it is important to use good-quality whole-milk yogurt. The version in David's book is Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. This time around I skipped out on the vanilla, opting for straight, bright white yogurt with the sweetness playing off the tang of the yogurt. I also used slightly less sugar than called for here, more like 2/3 cup - but you can go either way depending on what you like.

3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.

Makes about 1 quart.


Today, I made a few adjustments and am thrilled with the reults.

French Vanilla FroYo

3 cups (720g) Fage 2% Greek-style yogurt
2/3 cup (150g) sugar
1 vanilla bean

Scrape seeds from vanilla bean. Mix together with yogurt and sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Enjoy alone or with fresh fruit.





No comments: